Friday, February 10, 2012

Southern Style Shrimp

Pin It
 

My parents are the best. I know almost everyone says this about their own parents, but I'm really telling the truth. Mine are THE best. Not only did they tolerate me and still love me throughout my teenage years (bless their hearts for that one), but they deal with my quirks all the same. My mom knows I go on outrageous diets once in a while, but she supports me through it. When the family goes over their house for dinner, she always asks what I'm "allowed" to eat at that particular time and place (it changes all the time) and she always caters to my special menu. Even if it involves making me a completely separate meal. And when my dad finds this out, he makes sure things like shrimp and low-fat cheese find their way into the shopping cart. Things like that make them the best.

I went to my parents' house after work one day and we needed to head out rather quickly to head downtown to meet with a wedding vendor. My mom is a volunteer at the hospital near their house, so she was still working when I got there, but she had made me this shrimp dish for dinner before she left for work. How thoughtful is that? And how delicious was this shrimp? Very! It tasted really fresh and had a little kick, which I always love. Enjoy! 


Printable Recipes

Ingredients
  • 2 strips turkey bacon or Canadian bacon
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 can (16 ounces) chopped tomatoes with juice
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

Cook the bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Place on a paper towel–lined plate. Crumble when cool. Leave any drippings in the skillet.

In the skillet, over medium heat, cook the onion, bell pepper, and celery for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes (with juice), bay leaf, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and hot-pepper sauce. Heat to boiling. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and bacon and cook for 5 minutes, or until the shrimp turn pink. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.

Source: South Beach

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. We're Italian and we're all about family & food. Glad you feel the same way. Keep up the good work. Love ya,

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)