Friday, February 17, 2012

Beef with Snow Peas

Pin It
Happy Birthday to my wonderful fiance, Chris!! Next week I'll be posting something yummy I made him that you won't want to miss :)

This simple dish definitely turned out to be one of my favorites. Chris and I both really enjoy Asian flavors, so as soon as I saw soy sauce in the ingredients list I knew it would be a hit. I ended up substituting some ingredients for others that are low-carb friendly, but it worked. One thing I suggest that you don't substitute is the scallions. They bring out a lot of great flavors that you would otherwise miss out on!

This will probably be one of those dishes that I want to make at least once a week, but know that I'll more realistically make about once a month since I have to keep up my new blog posts! But for us, once a month is a luxury. Enjoy!

Printable Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat and sliced very thin against the grain
  • 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. sugar (I used Splenda)
  • 1 tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
  • 8 oz. weight fresh snow peas, ends trimmed
  • Salt as needed (use sparingly)
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • 5 whole scallions, cut into half-inch pieces
  • Crushed red pepper, for sprinkling, optional
  • Jasmine or long grain rice, cooked according to directions, optional
In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, and ginger. Add sliced meat to bowl and toss with hands. Set aside.

Heat oil in a heavy skillet (iron is best) or wok over high heat. Add snow peas and stir for 45 seconds. Remove to a separate plate. Set aside.

Allow pan to get very hot again. With tongs, add half the meat mixture, leaving most of the marinade still in the bowl. Add half the onions. Spread out meat as you add it to pan, but do not stir for a good minute. (You want the meat to get as brown as possible in as short amount a time as possible.) Turn meat to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove to a clean plate.

Repeat with other half of meat and onions, allowing pan to get very hot again first. After turning it, add the first plateful of meat, the rest of the marinade, and the snow peas. Stir over high heat for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Check seasonings and add salt only if it needs it. Mixture will thicken as it sits.

Serve immediately over rice. If desired, sprinkle crushed red pepper over the top to give it some spice.

Source: Adapted from Pioneer Woman

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. My guys love beef so this would be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a huge hit in my house. Hope your family enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)